Monday, September 21, 2009

Tot School: A little bit of this and that

Tot School
Sawyer-3.5 years
Jax- 2 years next week

Lately tot school has not been going the way I imagine it in my head. I am still adjusting to teaching 3 year olds twice a week at the Mother's Day Out at our church. I have not had as much time to plan for the time at home with the boys. We do a lot, it just hasn't been planned or documented very well. Lots of unexpected things keep coming up and I am trying not to let it bother me so much. I am such a planner, but sometimes the best learning comes from my kids' spontaneous games. I have managed to catch a few things on camera in the last couple of weeks, so I will share them now.

I saw this cute idea for an apple tree on the Just for Fun blog. It wanted to try it with my students, but thought I would try it at home first. It didn't quite work the way I imagined. The boys weren't interested in following directions. As you can see my almost 2 year old was not a happy camper. I don't even know what he was so upset about.


The trees came out fine, but not as perfect as the ones I had seen. Jax was happy again when I just gave him a paint brush and let him paint as he pleased. When I did this with my class I helped each child one at a time and they were much more cooperative than my own children. Imagine that!

The boys did have a blast free painting with brushes and fingers and here are some of their master pieces.

Another day last week we played with floam. Sawyer and I made letters out of the floam. He wanted me to write his friend Jolie's name. He told me it started with a J and then I helped him sound out the rest.


We decorated the letter S with stars. I let the boys glue and stick stars all over their paper.

We made a bit of a mess, so I decided to make clean up into a game. I asked the boys to find all the blue stars, then the red, and so on until they were all cleaned up. I can be sneaky when I need to.

Go to Carissa's blog to see what fun she and others had in tot school last week.

No comments: