Monday, January 11, 2010

Tot School: Snow and Ice

Tot School
The boys and I are slowly getting back into some sort of routine. I am doing a winter theme with my MDO class as well as at home with the boys. It has been really cold here and it actually snowed last Monday. It rarely snows here, so it was a nice treat.

The boys were so excited. I bundled them up and went outside to play in the snow. These southern boys are not used to the cold and didn't want to stay out very long. Sawyer was ready to go inside after about 5 minutes of playing in the snow.

We went inside and had hot cocoa with whip cream. I think this was their favorite part of the whole experience.


I decided to make some shaving cream snow for the boys to play with. We have done this several times before. I just mixed equal parts glue and shaving cream. They finger painted with it for a while. When it dries it has a nice soft texture like snow.

We also made ice burgs last week. I helped the boys put water and a toy inside a cup. We then put them in the freezer. I had the not so bright idea to add glitter to the mix. It made a huge mess as it was melting. I decided to try it a second time without glitter. This time after the water froze I let the boys explore the ice. They used spoons to chip it away and even tasted their creations. Eventually they put them in the sink with warm water and let them melt. This is also fun in the bath tub.
We also made these with my 3 year old class. They had a blast chipping away at the ice and putting what was left into the water table.

The last snow activity of the week we did was painting snow men with q-tips. I found the idea here.

Much of our time has been spent playing with new toys.

Here is Jax playing on his new plasma car with his friend Naomi.

Sawyer is pretending to chop down this tree at my Grandma's house. The boys got a new tool bench as well as a few "power tools" for Christmas. They have been making repairs all over the house.

Another favorite has been this Melissa and Doug see and spell puzzle. I got it for Sawyer, but both boys really like it.

Sawyer has been spending a lot of time playing with his Leap Frog Tag books. He was sick last week and spent hours lying around reading these books. I am really impressed with this toy. It is so cool! Jax has the tag junior and he likes it.

Head on over to Carissa's blog to see what other tots learned this week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a fun week! It has been so cold her we haven't made it outside lately! Do you like the tag jr?

Susan-Chasing Marcus said...

We have a Tag Jr and I am already seeming to forget about it. I think I will pull it out after nap this afternoon.

meredith said...

I like both of the tags. My oldest one is more into his than my 2 year old is. I am glad he has one though, because he wants to do whatever his big brother does. He doesn't quite understand what to do yet, but I like that he doesn't really have to be exact for it to work.

Cara said...

You have so many great activities this week! Our theme right now is snowmen, too, so I may have to try some of these. I'm particularly interested in the shaving cream snow! That sounds so neat!