Wednesday, August 27, 2008

B is for bugs

This week I introduced letter B. We talked about the b sound and words that start with b. Monday we sang Baby Bumblebee and Here is a beehive. Sawyer painted a picture of a beehive and I helped him make Bees with his fingerprints. He painted 5 and I wrote the words to the rhyme on the picture. It is one of his favorites because I always tickle him at the end.


Here is a beehive
Where are the bees?
Hiding inside where nobody sees.
Watch them come out of the hive.
1 2 3 4 5
I read him a book about bees and talked about how they make honey. For snack I let him squirt honey on his crackers. Jax isn't one yet, so he just had crackers.
When I was at the dollar tree on Monday, I found a sticker book with bug crafts and stickers, so I got it. Can't beat $1. Anyway on Tuesday I helped Sawyer make a bumblebee. We sang a song and looked at a book about ants called The ants go marching on. I know ants starts with A, but it is a bug. He made a butterfly out of stickers that he got at a party this weekend. We had good luck with the whole B for bug theme. When the boys were napping I cut out B's and put them all around the house on things that start with B like baskets, bookshelf, bread, etc. When Sawyer woke up he went around the house looking for B's. I had to keep Jax from getting them and ripping them up, but it was fun.
He also got butterfly clappers at the party, so I let the boys clap them during music this morning. They liked that a lot.
Today I read a book called "The Best Bug Parade" It teaches big, bigger, biggest. We practiced putting things in order like balls, blocks, and animals from big, bigger, to biggest. Then I would show Sawyer 3 objects and ask him which is the biggest or smallest? He did alright with this. He could usually tell me the biggest, but had trouble putting them in order so we will work on this again sometime. Today I had him cover a letter B with blue paper and bug stickers. He was more interested in wearing the stickers than putting them on his paper.

No comments: