Thursday, January 8, 2009

Penguins and Picnics

We have been talking about things that start with the letter P this week. Tuesday we read a book about a penguin and her chicks. I had planned to let the boys make fingerprint penguins. After I read the book I was inspired to use my prints for the mommy penguin and the boys' for the chicks.
I did my prints first. Then, I held Jax and painted his fingers and helped him place them on the paper. Next, I held Sawyer and did the same thing with him. When we were finished, I painted the feet and beaks with orange paint. I thought it turned out pretty cute. While the boys were waiting for their turn, they played with the potato head family Sawyer got for Christmas.

Wednesday we read another book about penguins. Then I let Sawyer match these color bows to the penguins with the corresponding color words. First we talked about the colors and I had him match them. Then I let him glue them on.
I found the pattern here.
I could have laminated the cards and bows to use over again, but I decided to glue them to paper instead. Our printer was low on ink, so the penguins are bluish gray instead of black.
Today we read books about going on a picnic. Then we sang this little song.
and played a game with our plastic food and picnic basket.
I let the boys play with plastic food while I got our real picnic ready. I served a snack of grapes, goldfish, and lemonade out of the picnic basket. They had a blast. Who knew eating on the floor could be so much fun?

Then, I let the boys decorate this picnic basket with stickers and glue pictures of food on it. I am not an artist at all, but the boys didn't seem to mind. They worked so well together and had a fun time.

No comments: