Friday, January 16, 2009

Letter R

I decided to skip the letter q this week, since we are supposed to be out of town next week for a few days. I don't have a whole lot of q ideas, so I thought I would do that letter on a short week and do R this week. Monday I let the boys paint the letter R with red paint. Then they added rice. It was a bit of a mess, but that is to be expected when working with a one year old and a two year old. I also introduced our new bible verse, Ecclesiastes 12:1.
On Tuesday I read the boys a book about a rainbow and they glued scrap paper on this rainbow I drew. I told Jax the color names, but he just likes to say yellow over and over. Anytime I asked him what color something was he said yellow or blue and we didn't even use blue. He is saying more and more words everyday. Even though the lessons are usually directed at teaching Sawyer, I try to incorporate Jaxon as much as possible and I can tell he is learning a lot.
Here is the finished product. I added an R for rainbow.
The rest of the week I have focused on rhymes, because the boys love nursery rhymes. Sawyer acts them out all the time. His favorites are Humpty Dumpty, Jack and Jill, and Little Miss Muffett. Jaxon's favorites are Pat-a-cake and Humpty Dumpty or Dumpy Dumpy as he calls it. We have been reading lots of rhymes and playing rhyming games this week.

Sawyer colored these Jack and Jill finger puppets and I cut them out. He played with them while acting out the rhyme. Today we played with these Humpty Dumpty stacking cards. Then we played with word flash cards. I helped Sawyer pick out words that rhyme. He thought we should say them loud then soft, so that's what we did. We also tried to teach Jax some new words. Sawyer has been sick since Wednesday, so we may not go on our trip after all.

No comments: