Friday, August 21, 2009

Snack Baskets

I saw this idea on a couple of blogs and decided to try it. On Sunday evening I filled two baskets, one for each child, with snacks for the entire week. I put enough snacks for them to have one in the morning and one in the afternoon. It really has made my day a little easier. When they say they are hungry I just tell them to pick out a snack and they do. They have really enjoyed having a choice. I thought Jax would always choose whatever his big brother chose, but I was wrong. I don't think they have chosen the same thing yet.

I put snack size portions of goldfish, cheerios, popcorn, etc. into little baggies. This saves me from having to give them more and more during snack time. They know they get two snacks a day and they haven't whined for more.

I also let the boys choose to eat their snack inside or outside. It gives them a bit of control and independence, since I am usually the one who decides what and where we eat.

It also makes my days easier when I don't argue with my three year old when he wants to put his pajamas on at 3:30 in the afternoon because "he was hot" in his t-shirts and shorts. Of course he was hot again 10 minutes later and changed back into his regular clothes.

No comments: