Wednesday, April 29, 2009

What's In A Name?

I didn't plan much for Tot school this week since Jon and Kelsey are in town. Today we were home all morning, so I decided to work with the boys some. One of my goals with Sawyer is for him to learn to spell his name. I taught him a little song that I try to sing whenever I think of it. My mom got he and Jaxon name puzzles for Christmas and I have been encouraging them to play with these.
This morning after breakfast I got out the name puzzles and the letter sponges.
First I had Sawyer put his puzzle together and say each letter of his name.
Next, he matched the sponges to the letters on the puzzle.

The last step was to paint his name with the sponges. He chose the colors and painted his name. It didn't come out perfect, but he had fun and it was more reinforcement of the letters in his name.

I helped Jaxon do all of these steps as well. Of course I don't expect him to learn how to spell his name yet, but I am introducing letters to him. He wants to do everything Sawyer does, so I try to let him as much as he can. When I ask him how to spell his name he says, "A A A". He does have an A in his name, so he isn't too far off. Sawyer has been spelling his own name all day and he spells Jaxon's name "J A exellen" instead of J a x o n. It is so cute.
I wrote Sawyer's name in all caps on a piece of cardboard and in all lowercase letters on clothes pins. He matched up the letters. He not only practices his name, but also lowercase and capital letter matching, and fine motor skills.

He also played with his name letter magnets. I almost forgot he had these, but they are on a picture frame he got when he was a baby.

No comments: