Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Z for zoo

We are learning about the letter z this week. Sawyer has done a great job learning to identify his letters and sounds. I think I mentioned this before, but I LOVE the Leap Frog Letter Factory video. We checked it out from the library and he learned all of his letters and sounds in a week. Of course I continued to reinforce his learning. We ended up buying the video and I want to buy the others as well. We have borrowed them from the library from time to time and they are all really good.
I bought some glitter zoo animal stickers from the dollar tree this weekend. I let Sawyer draw a zoo scene and I drew one for Jax.

Then they put stickers all over the zoo. I had the boys name all of the animals and their sounds. Jax is pretty good with his animal sounds. He loves the bebra (zebras). I liked these stickers because they had texture. They were easier for Jax to grip than flat stickers.


We also made animal tracks one day. I had the boys paint with some of their animals. They had a blast making tracks all over the paper. I found this idea on No Time for Flash cards.

When they finished I let them wash the animals in warm soapy water. I pulled chairs up to the sink, so they could give the zoo animals a bath. We talked about how the zoo keepers take care of the real animals at the zoo.
I was hoping we would get to take a trip to the zoo this week, but I don't think we will be able to.

No comments: